Residential Surveys

These may be termed Building Surveys, formerly and rather confusingly termed Structural Surveys or Homebuyers Surveys. Which would include a property valuation and would require compliance with the RICS guidelines.

I regularly provide services in connection with Building Survey reports.

Schedule of Dilapidation

Schedule of Dilapidation

Outgoing tenants may be responsible and liable to reinstate the building to the standard required both by the lease and the law. The extent of the dilapidations may be obvious, but often there is a degree of negotiation in the final settlement figure. Clear documentation should be provided to the surveyor prior to embarking on a survey.

Typically this will include a copy of:
  • Lease
  • License for Alterations
  • Any other relevant correspondence
  • Schedules of Condition if applicable

The clear intention of the landlord must also be understood. There is little point in landlords paying for the DS to be produced if the planning application is already in to demolish and rebuild.

Commercial, Retail and Industrial Buildings Surveys reports.

It is incumbent on the surveyor acting for his client to have a clear brief that is understood by both parties. These reports will cover the structure and fabric and can be extended to included services depending on the level of services provided within the building.

Commissions come from property companies, agents acting for funding institutions or for other clients or the owners themselves who require a report to hand to any potential buyer, as well as for refinancing reasons.

Over the years these have included:
  • Council buildings
  • Hospitals, schools
  • Office blocks
  • Industrial
  • Hotel and leisure
  • Retail buildings
  • Listed and historic buildings
Schedules of Condition

Schedules of Condition

Normally prepared on a building to identify and record the current condition. The SC may be appended to a lease or to a Party Wall Award or simply be used to identify damage ( and the liability for that damage) that may arise following building works on adjacent/adjoining buildings.

Party Wall Matters

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 requires' Building Owners' to serve on Adjoining owners certain notices required under the Act. I regularly deal with all matters required under the Act and will be pleased to assist you whichever side of the fence you are on. My duty however is to be neutral and not favour either party.

Some basic points to note:
  • Surveyors under the Act can be appointed by either party or jointly, the building owners are normally responsible for any fees incurred.
  • Notices received have time limits to reply within otherwise a dispute will be deemed to have occurred.
  • Schedules of Condition would be prepared and issued either separately or appended to an Award.
Expert witness

Boundary Disputes

It is surprising to me that each year there are a number of boundary fences/ railings that get up in the middle of the night and move themselves to provide longer/ wider gardens

This type of dispute can otherwise arise through a lack of clear record or an honest neighbourly dispute or because of misunderstandings. Forensic evidence in previous cases has included finding that a cast iron railing had been enveloped by a tree bole, buried rotten timber posts found where the original boundary was shown to be, and corroded metal posts below ground level. Dimensions on title plans may be persuasive but I can assure you they may not be the final determining factor.

Contract Administration.

Most building contracts require a person to certify monies due under the contract and to certify when certain stages of the contract have been achieved. I carry out such a roll under the JCT forms of contract.